Dealing with storm damage to a home can be very dangerous and expensive. You may have water damage, broken glass, missing roof tiles, broken trees, and a plethora of other problems. If you’re feeling overwhelmed and don’t know where to start, you are not alone. Read below for tips on what to do if your Logan home has been damaged by a storm.
Assess How Much Damage There Is
After the storm has passed, you should check on your home to see the extent of the damage. Make sure that you follow important safety precautions so that you don’t harm yourself or others when doing a walk-through of the house. The following are some safety tips to keep in mind:
- Check local news stations on the TV or radio to make sure that your area is safe before going outside.
- Look for hazards on the floor such as broken glass or nails. Never walk around barefoot and make sure that you are wearing proper shoes to protect your feet.
- Stay away from fallen power lines and never assume that they are safe to walk or drive over. You may want to call your utility company and police to alert them of the power line damage.
- If you smell gas in or around your home, shut off the main gas line, open all windows, and go outside immediately. Be sure to inform authorities, so they can check and make sure that everything is safe before entering the home again.
- Avoid going out after dark, but if you have to, use a flashlight instead of candles to reduce the risk of a possible fire.
When it is safe to walk around, make sure to take pictures of the storm damage. This will help later on with insurance claims. Here are some things to look for when assessing the damage to your home:
- Roof damage such as missing or destroyed shingles, leaks, and holes in the roof
- Damage to vents and gutters
- Broken window panes and frames
- Damage to exterior surfaces such as siding and paint
- Outdoor appliances like HVAC units
- Mold growth
Contact Your Insurance Company
Hopefully you have a good insurance company that you can work with after the storm. They will help you make a claim and answer any questions you may have about what is covered in your plan. Not only should you send them pictures of the damage, but also save receipts if you have to stay in temporary housing while your home is being fixed. The price of this can be included in your claim as well.
Hire a Trustworthy Contractor
There may be some things you can fix yourself, but chances are that you’ll have big projects that require a contractor’s help. It is important to contact a reliable storm damage restoration company who has experience in these kinds of projects so that you can ensure that you and your family are safe and in good hands.
When looking for a restoration company or contractor, try to do adequate research on them to see what people are saying about their work on Google, Facebook, and other sites such as the Better Business Bureau or Yelp.
Sell to a Cash Buying Company
If the repair process is way over your head, and you want to get rid of your home altogether, a cash buying company is a great option to consider. Cash buyers will buy your home as-is, so you don’t have to worry about making any repairs. The best part is that you can close when you want, so there’s no waiting around for months while your house sits on the market.
At Enlight Homebuyers, we are trusted cash home buyers in Logan, and we help people all the time who have been affected by storm damage. We will give you a fair cash offer so that you can move on from your damaged home and have peace of mind. For more information, give us a call at 801-939-0123 or fill out the form below!